Hilda Giron Erfe, who wrote “Real Estate 101-Buying/Real Estate 102-Renting” (the amazon.com link is here ) suggests, per bed:
* 2 pillows, each with pillow protector
* 1 flat sheet, 1 fitted sheet, 1 comforter
* spare cotton blankets
She suggests that if you have multiple vacation houses (and there are real estate investors who go around buying up homes and renting ‘em out) that you stick with one kind of print per house “so you know which print belongs to which house”
Also, a vacation rental should include
* towels — six towels per color, per bathroom, plus beach towels
* alarms — one Carbon Monoxide Detector and one Smoke Alarm per house. Please change the batteries so that your house doesn’t beep while you’re away.
* living room furniture — Sofa and side chair; coffee table and end table; area rug, and at least one lamp. TV/VCR combo.
* bedroom furniture — Doulbe bed, one or two dressers, 2 night tables with lamps, a dual-set alarm clock, a mirror, and wall decor. A linen chest is optional, but nice to have.
* a calendar — with garbage instructions, recycling days, your phone number and those of the maintenance guys, the phone number of the pest control and cleaning crews, and of course instructions to the alarm system.
* kitchen necessities — coffeemaker and toaster; dishes and glasses and silverware; oven mitts and an apron; coffee cups; serving pieces such as a big spoon, fork, pasta server, and tongs; extra vacuum cleaner bags; a vase for flowers; dishtowels; a big serving bowl and an ice bucket; a corkscrew and wine glasses; a cutting board and knives; pots and pans; a wastebasket.
* outdoor furniture, and possibly a grill and grill cover
* window treatments and screens, extra light bulbs and paint touch-ups, and an air conditioner with clean filters/ducts; a de-humidifier in the basement; citronella candles; extra keys; a garage door opener; basic tools.
As you can see, Hilda’s thought this whole thing through. Her book is highly entertaining if you ever decide you want to go into the landlady biz. If you would rather rent out one of her vacation houses in Newport, click here.